[Olsr-users] OLSR Pro Active autoconfig news?

Alex . (spam-protected)
Tue Nov 13 07:49:48 CET 2007

Hi,

I'd like to package OLSR for Nokia's Maemo platform and eventually for
OpenMoko (OLPC, Asus Eee, and whatnot...) but in a way that it can be
used by non technical people by just switching from infrastructure
mode to mesh mode and back to the first if needed... This would, imho,
really improve the value of this software in great ways by enabling
normal people to participage in a mesh without knowing a thing about
it, just enjoying it's benefit and allowing to easily build new
application over the mesh. (Cloning a Garmin Rhino's functionality for
example but with many more participants/functionality?)

But for this i'd need a solution for assigning IP adresses
automatically and, as far as i can see from my little research tonight
about OLSR (which i haven't tried yet but read a lot of good things
about :-), there is only one proprietary verison that was made by the
author for a company which we can't get access to.

Was there any more effort afterward to build a clone of this solution?
What other choice would i have?
I thought about using the MAC and, if it's available on the device,
IPv6 but i wish i could simply use a plugin instead of generating IPs
that way and needing to have IPv6 added if it's not there...

I'd be willing to put some money on this as i believe mesh have a very
liberating effect on networks and if others are interested we could
have a bounty to recreate this solution which seemed nice from the
paper i read!

So, did i miss a solution somewhere? What should i use? :-)

Thanks & Cheers,
Alex