[OLSR-users] Anyone tried two nodes with internet connection?

Rajesh Narayanan (spam-protected)
Mon Jan 15 21:04:36 CET 2007

> The HACK
> > ----------------
> > * Run OLSR on both NodeA and NodeB
> > * I wrote a script that Ping tests InternetConnA
> > * When the linkA breaks, the default route to internetconnA is removed
> >     - Traffic automatically takes the OLSR route.
> > * Reinstall the default route periodically to test png to internetConnA
> > {bad hack i know! :-( }
> >     - If the ping succeeds then i leave it.
> >     - Else I delete it again.

Guys,

My thanks to all of you for your patience.

I finally understood some of the suggestions you made. Instead of adding a
default route and pinging it, I added a host route to a server on
InternetConnA (in this case its a DNS server). Only of the ping to the host
fails via the host route do I add the default route. This saves a lot of
pain of adding and deleting the default route periodically like in the hack
I suggested above.

Conclusion:
* Pinging a host route to a 'suitable host' is a good method to introduce
redundancy for edge routers.
* Since the use-case is only to reach the internet via the OLSR route when
reachability to the internet via the primary connection (dsl/cable/sat/modem
etc) fails, the chance of route flapping does not occur.

Next Steps:
* I think this should be added as a configuration parameter to the OLSR
Dyn-GW module.
* Can anyone help me add this to it?

Thanks,
Rajesh.