[OLSR-users] Re: Setting up OLSR for a complicated environment

Sven-Ola Tuecke (spam-protected)
Fri Feb 9 10:32:01 CET 2007

Hi,

WDS and OLSR are somewhat incompat. The standard story is this:

- someone sets up a couple of WDS access points
- after a while, the network grows (both tech + persons)
- he/she realizes: WDS does not work beyond a certain AP count
- WDS is replaced by OLSR or other routing protocols
- the WEP/WPA encryption is sacrificed also

Why? The layer2 data path (aka. the way packets travel through the different
stations) is detected by a spanning tree protocol in WDS. Links from A via B
to C are fiddeld out in this way. The spanning tree protocol chooses the
least hop datapath. The spanning tree root node needs to have good
connectivity to all stations and this also introduces a SPOF (single point
of failure). A protocol like this runs fine with every standard (wired)
switch device you buy.

OLSR is different. It is layer3. Routing as it's done on the internet to
interlink a bazillion of stations. A change from Switching to Routing
introduces a conceptual change. A network of equals. Of course, OLSR does
function with every link which can transport IP datagrams. This is true for
an AP to client link. For Ethernet. For VPN links. For pidgeons (RFC 2549).
And of course, this should be true for a couple of WDS APs. But to profit
from OLSR routing and the ETX/LQ optimized data path calculation, all active
stations/nodes needs to participate in the routing process. Which requires
Ad-Hoc or at least Access-Points-to-client links with AP-Isolation=True if
more than one client.

To write a word on WEP/WPA: If everyone in a bigger net (more than dozen
people) knows the single secret (key), the layer2 encryption is useless. For
this reason, you switch from layer2 security to layer3 security. Because a
different key for each stationa-to-stationb link is not supported/practical
with those small boxes. Layer3 security involves firewalling, IPSec and VPN
tunnels - which is also very similar how this stuff is handled on the
internet.

Short PS: There are mixed concepts out there. E.g. the roofnet stuff. But I
personally do not know enough on the topological impact to write down hints.

Keep playing!
// Sven-Ola