[OLSR-users] Re: Setting up OLSR for a complicated environment

Jon Smirl (spam-protected)
Thu Feb 8 17:48:02 CET 2007

On 2/8/07, Bernd Petrovitsch <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> > Could I run my mesh nodes in Master mode and then use OLSR to set up
> > WDS links between them?
>
> I'm not a WDS expert. How are these links setup?

WDS is a way of setting up links between stations running in Master
mode. My idea was to run all of my mesh nodes in Master mode and then
use OLSR to control the WDS links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System

I haven't tried doing this yet. I was hoping that someone already had
tried and could tell me if it will work.

>Either you have an (additional) access point with a LAN to the OLSRD box

That's basically a two radio strategy. It drives up the cost of the
nodes plus there are problems with interference between the radios.

>or you run your laptop in adhoc mode with OLSRD. In the latter case your
>laptop is a true part of the mesh network.

That requires significant user education which won't happen in a
casual use environment.

--
Jon Smirl
(spam-protected)