[OLSR-users] dhcp for wireless clients

Lorenz Schori (spam-protected)
Mon Apr 9 13:15:07 CEST 2007

Am 08.04.2007 um 11:42 schrieb Jan Groenewald:

> wlhdcp=172.18.172.18/32,255.255.0.0

hi jan

your wlhdhcp settings are definitely wrong.
- /32 means a single host without network address and without a
broadcast address. i think dnsmasq (or its startup script) will not
eat that. if you want to narrow down your dhcp-range don't use /32,
use at most someting like /30 (two hosts).
- the mask after the comma is far too wide. in a normal environment
there is no reason to enter a different mask than the one before the
comma. widening the second mask does not enable your laptop users to
connect to other laptops which are not directly reachable (zero hops).

i suggest something like this:
ff_wldhcp=172.18.172.16/30,255.255.255.252

> PS. I am playing with the new dhcp-splash packages too, which will
> put up a splash page for new dhcp users. These seem to be new in
> 1.4.5:
> http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://
> www.freifunk-bno.de/content/view/66/28/

i'm the author of dhcpsplash, so feel free to direct your questions
to me. btw. a better place to discuss your kind of questions would be
the wlanware mailinglist: https://freifunk.net/mailman/listinfo/wlanware

cheers
lorenz