[OLSR-users] auto ip address assignment

Gaspard, Bradley S (spam-protected)
Thu Oct 5 18:22:42 CEST 2006

Auto ip address assignment has been a recurring topic on this list and I too
am interested in trying to develop a plugin for it. I think I have read
everything on this topic going back a year or so on this list and like
Andreas's suggestion for a KISS solution using DHCP and olsrd for forwarding
the DHCP requests/responses.

But how would this work exactly? Ok a process could be running on each node
listening for DHCP messages and a selected node could take the contents of
the DHCP message make it into an olsr message and flood it through the
Manet. The nodes that are also forwarding the olsr message might also then
be responsible for taking the contents of the olsr message and reconstitute
the DHCP message and re-broadcast it.

Is this sort of an outline of how it might work? Hope I'm not too far out in
left field.