[OLSR-users] Freifunk-Firmware 1.0

Sven-Ola Tuecke (spam-protected)
Mon May 2 11:15:19 CEST 2005

A new version of freifunk firmware is available for download. While I'm
quite happy with the firmware, I have attached a version number of 1.0 now.

Brief description.: FF-Firmware is an openwrt/stable with a few
optimizations and some preinstalled packages for use with OLSR-based
community networks not using encryption for wireless communication. Details
may be found on the project homepage also, refer to
http://ff-firmware.sourceforge.net/ After installation through the original
web UI just enter IP and go. It is possible to install additional packets
from any openwrt/stable repository.

The firmware itself behaves stable, but as usual some minor bugfixes will
come due to this public release and the expected feedback. I have tested the
FFF on the following devices: WRT54G-V2.0, WRT54G-V2.2, WRT54GS-V2.0,
WAP54G-V2.0(4Mb Flash), WAP54G-V2.0(2 Mb Flash), AllNet 0277. I have
positive feedback for WRT54G-V1.1 and WRT54GS-V1.1 also.

Since the last version 0.6.8 there are several improvements made:

* LZMA compression save flash space
   (TRX is 1.4 Mb which is smaller than the original openwrt/stable)

* MTD update to speed up jffs2 and make WAP54G(2Mb) running

* Update to olsrd-0.4.10-pre

* Changed dyngw (added policy routing with iproute2 for this)

* Added software-install, client/master/ad-hoc/bridge-mode,
   extended status and firmware download from squashfs to web UI

* Added Mcast Route to kernel, disabled BBC, speedup dropbear,
   added softdog (watchdog for stability), olsrd-nameservice,
   olsrd-httpinfo, TFTP client for flashing neighbor devices

* Lots of bugfixes

Because several people have asked for an LZMA and G-2.2/GS-1.1 compatible
openwrt/stable, I also added a "minimal" release without freifunk Adonis
(TRX is 1132KB, so there are 2624KB free on Jffs2). The missing parts
originally included with openwrt/stable are installable with the
"freifunk-removed-from-openwrt_1.0_mipsel.ipk" package if you really need
them.

There is also a "kit" for all variants available. The kit will made
customizations easy (the counterpart of the openwrt/experimental
"ImageBuilder").

Notes for updaters: For standard cases, there is an NVRAM-compatibility
script which converts the NVRAM settings from the older releases. In the
berlin mesh, I placed the files on the HdL cube (NAS device mounted with
NFS) on http://104.65.0.1/nas/ (go to "styx.commando.de" directory).

Sven-Ola