[OLSR-users] network problems

Andrew Hodel (spam-protected)
Sat Jun 18 17:47:00 CEST 2005

I am going to try all links at 11M soon, perhaps this will be better.
I really don't quite understand the 802.11 MAC in the case of ad-hoc
with many radios all at different rates.  It seems to me in auto mode
2 radios would connect with each other at the same link speed, if they
don't you could consider it a bad link.

I do agree, bandwidth based routing would be the way to go, however
how do you measure bandwidth without a large stream being sent and
measured every few seconds?  This would eat up your bandwidth while
trying to figure it out.  Perhaps a look at the iperf code could bring
a few ideas.

Over the past few days I have been going out to the locations having
trouble and installing directional antennas.  Of course this is
helping each link, however it really isn't helping the network as a
whole.

Soon I will setup ptp links on a different band to the tallest and
farthest sites.  Then I will have an HNA node on the network at that
location.  Of course this will work, but there goes the dream of a
true mesh.

Interesting read here: http://www.smallworks.com/archives/00000072.htm

Andrew