[OLSR-users] Urgent! Neighbor node disappears and routing table not updated.

Xia Yang (spam-protected)
Tue Jul 26 14:47:19 CEST 2005

Hi all,

Recently I have been working on combining OLSR and Mobile IPv6 (MIPL) together.  But I encountered some strange problems. Please help me if you have ANY idea about what is happening to my setup or possible reason. I really appreciate your help.

Here is my setup. I got 3 laptops (nodes) A, B and C. In normal situation, it should work like this.

1.       Initially, they are configured to run in Ad hoc mode, IPv6 only. They can ping each other.

2.       I started the OLSR, on the terminal of each node I can see the two other neighbors.

3.       Then on node C, I use iptables to block the packet from A by using matching A¡¯s MAC address.  Then B will relay the packets for A to C and hence, the new route entry is added to the routing table of A so that next hop for routing to C is B.

4.       Then if I resume the link by removing the iptables rule on C, the link should switch back to direct link after a while.

I got my setup working as described above with Ubuntu kernel 2.6.10. But after I moved to Mobile IPv6, problems came out.

1.       Since the MIPL requires a kernel patch and the only available patch is for kernel 2.6.8.1, so I have to fall back to the old kernel.

2.       I downloaded Ubuntu kernel source 2.6.8.1 from the apt repository and applied patch. Compile and Reboot.

3.       Everything seems working fine until I run OLSR. After I run OLSR, on each terminal, I can only see one neighbor. But if I launch the olsr-gui provided in the package, all neighbors are shown.

4.       Then I break the link between A and C again using iptables, but this time the new route is never setup. On node A, the routing table is not updated to show an entry that C is via B. And I cannot ping from A to C. On B and C I can only sniff some neighbor solicitation packets.

5.       If I let A and B running OLSR, and restart the OLSR program on C a few times, the neighbor displayed on the terminal of C is random, either A or B, but only one of them.

6.       I also try to sniff the HELLO packets sent between nodes; I found that for each node, it can receive the HELLO messages from the other two nodes.

So now the big problem is why OLSR is not displaying all the neighbors in the terminal but show the full list in the GUI? Why the OLSR is not updating the routing table? Is there any kernel requirement for OLSR daemon since it stops working after change kernel? Anyone is also trying MIPL with OLSR? Any advice on how to troubleshoot? Any suggestion is appreciated!!! Thank you. I am now so desperate¡­ :(

Regards,

Xia Yang