[OLSR-users] Metrics

Andreas Petersson (spam-protected)
Wed Feb 9 14:27:38 CET 2005

hello!

> 1. Let's assume that we look at a path from node A to node B via
> intermediate nodes and that we want to know the total metric of the path
> in order to minimize it to find the best path. Then there are three
> different kinds of metrics:

there you are going into the field of true QoS, which leaves the area of
routing with tables. you will have to decide on a per-packet basis,
which route to take, since each packets defines his own contraints
(delay, bandwidth, jitter).
some ideas how this could look are at
http://qolsr.lri.fr/.

even worse, to obtain the best route in a multiplicative metric
environment, dijkstras algorithm does not work any longer. according to
my graph algorthmics professor (prof. mutzel) you will have to resort to
an algorithm that has a O(2^n) runtime :-(  or come up with a heuristic.

> implementation minimizes additive edge weights. The question now is
> whether there is a way of converting multiplicative metrics and minimum
> metrics into additive metrics in a meaningful way.

i don't think so.

> I think that the biggest problem is that you need a pretty big testbed
> to test any modification to the employed metric. However, each
> modification has the potential of completely breaking an existing mesh,
> if the new metric turns out to be unsuitable.

some parts of our mesh are also routed statically, in a different
subnet, which causes great pain in various body parts to configure.
delpoying and later removing a potentially unstable olsrd would be possible.

greetings
andreas