[OLSR-users] dis/enabling HNA4 while olsrd is running

Jens Nachtigall (spam-protected)
Sun Oct 31 12:40:37 CET 2004

Hi,

a general problem is the announcement of HNA4 gateways, when there is
none (due to your ISP, or misconfiguration). I thought of handling this
by periodically pinging certain well known public IPs using a cron job.
If the IPs are not pingable, then I want to dynamically tell olsrd that
the HNA4 is not valid. I could obviously do so, by stopping and
restarting olsrd. However, this adds further (CPU) overhead, I guess.

Is it possible to tell a running olsrd about a changed HNA4?
Maybe using a HUP signal causing olsrd to reread its config (though this
would mean to change the config on the fly; very ugly)?

Or am I best off simply restarting olsrd?

The best (for users ;-) IMHO would be if this could be implemented in
olsrd itself. This is such a common error, that one would have to
actually bundle olsrd with this cron job if seriously building a
network is your aim, which makes distribution difficult for a
heterogenous network (linux, windows, soon mac and bsd). I would prefer
if the config allowed entering certain HNA4_IPs belonging to a HNA4. If
this HNA4 is set in the config and certain HNA4_IPS exists from this
HNA4 net then every HNA4_CHECK_AVAIVABILITY_TIME sec olsrd tries
pinging these, and adjusts its HNA4 messages accordingly, e.g.:

HNA4 netaddr netmask [pingable IPs] [time in sec]

 This is vaguely how the MITRoofNet did it.

Best,
Jens