[OLSR-users] RE: Dot topology plugin

Ignacio García Pérez (spam-protected)
Fri Oct 22 21:47:27 CEST 2004

> Hi,
>
> I made some comments on the multithread approach in my previous mail.
> Other than that I think it sounds interesting. The dot_draw plugin was
> just something I put together as a quick hack - if you create a more

As you can imagine, I know little about the olsrd internal structures, and
would like to stay like that as much as possible :-), so, besides the
structures obviously used in the dot-draw plugin, are there any other
structures that should be "streamed" to the clients connected to the
plugin?.

I plan to "stream" those structures in raw binary form with some basic
additions (number of elements in a table and such).

By the way, I think I asked you before about this, but just in case:
currently, there is no mechanism to grab the olsrd internal state, right?
(because if there is, making a plugin is pointless).

> modular solution than that is great(assuming you will share it ;-) ).

Sure. I got olsrd for free and it's doing a great job for me. The least I
can do is contribute to the extent of my capabilities.

I think I'll make two versions: one non-threaded and another threaded. The
non-threaded implementation is plain simple: instead of writing the DOT
description, write the raw structures, and do an initial write upon a client
connection. We should provide an option to allow non-local connection, and
advise anyone using the plugin and a remote connection can, under some
circumstances, block olsrd operation for an unbound amount of time and thus
cause strange behaviour.

The second, threaded version is more complex but I've already implemented
serveral similar code, so it should be no problem. Let's let the users
decide which one they prefer. For certain applications (like the WRT54G),
not using too much memory may be the preferred aproach (non-threaded).

Nacho.

---