[OLSR-users] Something to look at

Andreas Tønnesen (spam-protected)
Thu Oct 14 07:54:19 CEST 2004

Hi Jhon,

That was quite an interesting update!
Are you using hysteresis? Have you tried to experiment with different
hysteresis values? ...still this might be of little help as the link is
probably "seen" until everybody tries to use it...
But what about setting the lower threshold for reception on the
interface(iwconfig sens)? Has anybody here done any experimenting with
this parameter?
This might not help - but its worth a shot :)

- Andreas

John Gorkos wrote:
> OLSR users-
>   Deployment of my OLSR mesh is proceeding slowly, but picking up steam.  I've
> got 14 nodes deployed so far, with 6 more in the hopper ready to go.  The
> maintenance team at the apartment complex is responsible for installation, so
> I have little control over how fast things occur.
>
> I've got a "real-time" topology map that gets updated every 60 seconds located
> here:
> http://www.wildcatwireless.net/topology.png
>
> and I'm working on a real-time, geographically accurate map that will show the
> links overlayed on a real map of the ground here:
> http://www.wildcatwireless.net/cgi-bin/networkmap.pl
>
> Unfortunately, I'm having some real problems getting mapserver (the GIS
> program I'm using) to draw lines from a perl script.  The stars represent
> nodes, but the lines between nodes are simply not being drawn.  If anyone is
> a mapserver guru, contact me.
>
> One of the things I notice when I telnet to port 2004 is that the network is
> reconfiguring itself at a very high rate of speed:  usually on the order of
> once every second or so.  One of the problems I'm seeing is that nodes that
> are far away from the takeout point (the node on the eastern edge of the
> network, 192.168.7.1 on Lane H) can occasionally see the takeout node, but
> most of the time they cannot.  When they can, they try to route directly to
> the takeout point, and the packets get lost in the noise, and the customer
> experiences a dropout.  Eventually (+/- 30 seconds or so) the route will be
> replaced with a multi-hop route, and the customer is back in the network.
> It's EXTREMELY frustrating for everyone involved.  I'm close to offering a
> bounty for the hacker that writes a route-weighting plugin that takes
> signal/noise ratio into account.
>
> Anyway, I welcome questions or comments.  All nodes except the primary are
> WRT54G routers with OpenWRT and OLSR 0.4.7 on them.
>
> John Gorkos
> Wildcat Wireless Internet

Andreas Tønnesen
http://www.olsr.org