[OLSR-users] Default routing question

Andreas Tønnesen (spam-protected)
Sat Mar 27 06:18:04 CET 2004

Hi,

A most interesting project! My comments inline.

John Gorkos wrote:
> I have a project involving a large number of WRT54G routers running linux w/
> OLSR.  Perhaps 1 in 10 of the routers will have a backhaul to the internet,
> the rest will use these internet connected routers as gateways.  The kicker
> is this:  I want to have a single configuration that works on all routers,
> regardless of whether they are internet-connected or not.  Is this possible
> with the current OLSR imlpementation?  From what I've been able to decipher,
> the OLSR daemon finds out from the configuration file whether or not it is a
> "default" router.  I need to determine this dynamically, because I don't know
> yet which routers get an internet connection and which ones don't.

IMO you should create a startupscript that checks wether the node has a
internet route avalible. This check could easily be done inside the olsr
daemon - but IMO this is not olsrs job. Modularity! :)

> All told, the mesh will contain 50 routers initially, with about 50 more in
> six months.  Is OLSR the right tool for the job?

What kind of mobillity do you expect to see? And what kind of density?
Anyways - to me this souds like a job for olsr. Olsr is very well suited
for dense ad-hoc networks.

Remember that you can tune the message-emission intervals to suit your
mobillity-degree. If mobillity is high the HELLO(and other) intervals
should be small.

I intend to implement a plugin that allows one to update theese values
at runtime.

Again - this will be a _very_ interesting real-life experiment! Keep us
updated on your work!! When do you expect to do this?

regards,
Andreas

--
Andreas Tønnesen((spam-protected))