[OLSR-users] Plugin development: how to avoid buffer/packet size overrun when olsr message is of dynamic length.

Christoffer Andersson (spam-protected)
Wed Jul 14 10:53:33 CEST 2004

I have looked through the entire code in the secure plugin and I cannot find any reference to
GETD_MAXMESSAGESIZE, or any maxmessagesize -= ...

Is there a remote chance that I have found a bug?  For the moment I cannot figure out
how you ensure that secure does not exceed the pck size when adding the signature at the end of pck.

Just to make sure I am looking the right places:

I have found the definitions of where you get the data and function pointers in olsrd_plugin.h/c.

Here you have for instance to get the add_ptf function....

olsr_plugin_io(GETF_ADD_PTF, &add_ptf, sizeof(add_ptf)))

I cannot find an entry for GETD_MAXMESSAGESIZE.

And there is no code in any of the files in the secure plugin using a variable starting with max (grep).

Anyways, since I cannot find the code, I will try to show what I think needs doing:

I need to add the following in olsrd_plugin.h

int *maxmessagesize;

I need to add the following in olsrd_plugin.c (the fetch_olsrd_data() method)

if( !olsr_plugin_io(GETD_MASMESSAGESIZE,
			  &maxmessagesize,
                    sizeof(maxmessagesize))
{
  maxmessagesize = NULL;
  retval = 0;
}

then in my olsrd_myplugin.c I must use the maxmessagesize -= mymessagesize;
where should this line be to make sure olsr initialises properly?
Should it go in the olsr_plugin_init() method together with the
add_ptf(&add_signature); and similar statements?

Thanks for all help and don't let my questions ruin your vacation :D

Christoffer