[OLSR-users] Regular data broadcasting in ad hoc networks

Sven-Ola Tuecke (spam-protected)
Sat Dec 18 16:00:14 CET 2004

Hi,

long answers may be found in RFC 922 (google for rfc-922). The relevant
statement is: <cite>The primary rule for avoiding loops is "never broadcast
a datagram on the hardware network it was received on"</cite>. Because every
routing protocol (such as OLSR) only configure the underlying network
layers, the RFC 922 rules are still valid.

Moreover: ETH/Wlan-bridged devices may have broadcasting loops, if you
connect them with an ethernet cable. A broadcast packet will loop through
WLAN->eth->eth->WLAN->WLAN->eth->eth etc. until the TTL is used up. TTL is
ususally above 30.

LG,
Sven-Ola