[Olsr-dev] neighbors throughput estimation

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Sat May 26 21:28:37 CEST 2018

Hi,

Olsrd2 is already doing something like this by combining the raw link speed
with the estimated (broadcast) frame loss (see RFC7779,. Directional
Airtime Metric).

It might be a good approach for a measurement plugin to put its measured
value into the "layer2 database" and extend the current routing metric that
it can use this value. Another option would be to write a second routing
metric plugin.

Henning
On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 11:00 PM Pasquale Imputato <(spam-protected)>
wrote:

> Hi all,

> We are working on a project which has a goal to estimate the throughput
between a node and its neighbors in OLSR based networks.
> We are considering to keep the measure procedures inside OONF in a new
plug in.
> The idea could be to implement the measure procedures by using the
RFC5444 messaging in a new plug in.
> The sender part could be similar to the neighbor_probing plugin, to send
periodically a packets pair.
> The receiver part could implement throughput estimation based on the
received packets pair.

> What do you think about this approach to estimate the throughput in OONF?
> The main questions are about 1. the validity of this approach (and by
using packets pair strategy) in OONF and 2. about the overhead of this
approach in the OONF framework.