[Olsr-dev] Fwd: Re: netjson plugin

nemesis (spam-protected)
Thu Apr 21 23:12:07 CEST 2016

 Hi everyone,

 thank you all for bringing this up, by reading your discussion I
 understood that the RFC is not crystal clear and needs to be improved.

 the goal of NetworkGraph is to represent a Network Topology for
 visualization and monitoring purposes but the initial definition did not
 allow distance vector protocols to return their partial graph using
 NetworkGraph, so we changed the definition to allow this (so we could
 write a generic collector, which we did). Too bad now the definition is
 vague and can lead to misunderstandings.

 I believe in this case it's appropiate (and surely more useful) for the
 olsrd1 implementation to return the graph of entire network.

 The discussion about local vs full topology started already a few
 months ago and I opened an issue on github in order to avoid forgetting
 the various proposals, see here:
 https://github.com/interop-dev/netjson/issues/25

 I did not have the time to work on that specific issue because I was
 more focused on writing the RFC draft and write some implementations
 (rough consensus and running code), netdiff was one of the first
 implementations of which Gabriel is one of the core contributors.
 Gabriel also proposed the creation of NetworkGraph and the addition of
 the "local_addresses" attribute, he knows quite well the matter.

 In the following example, you can see an API that implements NetJSON
 NetworkGraph, returing the output of the OLSRd1 ninux network in
 Florence:
 http://ninux-graph.netjson.org/api/topology/643c4577-cef2-4b5e-b8a4-c29756b10748/

 The generated graph can be viewed at this URL:
 http://ninux-graph.netjson.org/topology/643c4577-cef2-4b5e-b8a4-c29756b10748/

 Ferry did send me a sample of the new plugin output, but I did not
 understand it was intentionally limited to local links, my bad.

 I hope this clears the misunderstanding and I promise to improve the
 spec and work on issue #25.
 If you have suggestions and alternative proposals please let me know.

 I will also meet Ferry, Henning and everyone interested in improving
 NetJSON at the battlmesh v9 in Porto (1-7 May 2016).

 Best
 Federico Capoano

 PS: Lara is spot on :-)