[Olsr-dev] OLSRd V2 - ethernet-Links / measure speed

Bastian Bittorf (spam-protected)
Wed May 28 11:49:11 CEST 2014

> > another problem which comes to my mind:
> >
> > router --- 1000 mbit --- switch --- 10 mbit --- switch --- 1000 mbit --- router
> >
> > (i know, it's acamedic...)
> > means: even if you think you have a linkspeed of 1000 mbit/s,
> > you are limited to 10 mbit/s.
> >
> > another thing: VPN-links.

i was thinking again about this prob and my conclusion is this:
there is no good way to be sure that we have an ethernet-interface,
because even this can be in reality a wifi link/bridge:

router/olsrd2:eth --- eth:blackbox:wifi ~~~ wifi:blackbox:eth ---eth:router/olsrd2

so we must probe the linkspeed in a similar way like we query
a normal wifi link. there are only some ways to guess, that it is
ethernet, but in the end...we have to test.

so, if interface is _not_ wifi:
can we "just" send a ping with small and large packets and compare the RTT?

bye, bastian