[Olsr-dev] release branches being merged into master?

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Mar 27 00:24:54 CET 2013

Hi,

what happens in the release branches are important fixes... if this
happens, we merge the whole branch back to master when we put up a
"bugfix release" so we make sure nothing has been forgotten.

Nothing beyond fixes should happen in a release branch and if there
are no additional fixes in the release branch, the merge back to
master will be empty.

Henning

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 12:20 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
<(spam-protected)> wrote:

> Sorry, yes, I meant 'git cherry-pick' from master to release branch.  'git
> merge' there would not make sense.
>
> I have never seen a workflow were development only happens in master, but the
> release branch is then merged into master.  If development is truly only
> happening in master, there should be nothing to merge into master, right?
>
> .hc
>
> On 03/26/2013 04:00 PM, Ferry Huberts wrote:
>> release branches are merged back into master, yes
>> only the last release branch when it has been released (again)
>>
>> this is to make sure that our release script does the right thing
>>
>> and this is the correct way to work.
>> merging master into a release branch; that is a big no-no
>>

>> On 26/03/13 18:45, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>>
>>> I noticed that some release branches (for example, release-0.6.5) are being
>>> merged back into master.  I seem to remember that the branch reorg stipulated
>>> that merges only ever happen from master into release branches, and never from
>>> release brances into master. Did that change?
>>>
>>> .hc

We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still. We have lingured
long enough on the shores of the cosmic ocean. We are ready at last to
set sail for the stars - Carl Sagan