[Olsr-dev] local broadcast/custom message types

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Thu Feb 21 07:23:28 CET 2013

On 02/20/2013 10:12 PM, Lotte Steenbrink wrote:
> Hi, I'm part of a small group of students that try to experiment with
> different forwarding strategies on mobile ad hoc networks (between
> several nexus 7) using olsrd. For this, we need the devices to be
> able to send local broadcasts that will only reach their
> 1-hop-neighbors and will not be forwarded. I guess we need to
> implement a custom message type, but the documentation on how to do
> this exactly is kind of... Sparse. We're rummaging through the code
> right now but since this is a frustrating thing to do and our time is
> limited, I wanted to ask if anybody on this list has any ideas, would
> like to help us or point us towards HOWTOs we might not have found
> yet?

Just to explain it a little bit more, you do not need OLSRd code support
for sending messages of a service one-hop, you just need an UDP Socket
that sends either broadcast or multicast messages.

If you use Multicast and IPv6, you should use a linklocal Multicast.

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE