[Olsr-dev] New plugin: telnet

Hans of Guardian (spam-protected)
Wed Feb 20 17:54:25 CET 2013

On Feb 20, 2013, at 11:50 AM, Ferry Huberts wrote:
> On 20/02/13 09:54, equinox wrote:

>>> Any relationship to the telnet code I had on the former master-branch
>>> some time ago?
>>
>> hmmm... no i didn't knew that you where working on that ... at least not
>> for this version of olsrd. I saw that you have a telnet server at the
>> oonf api and thought this would be nice to have for olsrd (v1) as well.
>> The code i added contains a little bit of jsoninfo (initialization of
>> server socket) but besides that it's brand new.
>
> I'm not at all convinced that adding such a plugin is a good idea.
> It might be but your mileage may vary: in general olsrd v1 is UNSUITED for dynamic configuration.
> Some stuff might work, other stuff might not work.
>
> Also, it seem like we already have something of a telnet server, and it's called txtinfo.
>
> The amount of code duplication already is well above tolerance levels and people duplicating functionality is not doing anything good to it.
>
> I'm not particularly open to adding any more plugins to the tree until people make clear why the plugin must be added and why the functionality can't be added to any of the plugins already present in the tree.

I am most interested in a simple, focused version of this plugin that would allow changing HNAs and adding/removing network interfaces.  Henning mentioned in the past that he thought this would be workable in olsrd v1, but I'm interested in hearing more opinions on that.  That is something that I would put to use right now in the various GUI clients I'm involved in (Android, GNOME NetworkManager, Mac OS X, and soon Windows). As far as I understand, having it in core, like Henning mentioned, is only needed in order for plugins to register new commands.

Keeping it simple means it much easier to verify what the added security risks.  Having a telnet plugin that any plugin can add commands to is a lot more risky.

.hc