[Olsr-dev] OLSR nameservice to do something like E.164 ENUM and SIP SRV records?

Roar Bjørgum Rotvik (spam-protected)
Wed Oct 17 09:01:55 CEST 2012

On 10/17/2012 03:13 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> On 17/10/12 09:18, Daniel wrote:
>>> Can anyone imagine a good solution?
>>> Maybe a generic way for more complex distributed DNS is the answer, I know that
>>> people are cracking their heads with this already for a while... Again:
>>> mesh-relevant results and experience is most welcome :)

[...]

> As we somehow need distributed DNS anyway, just have it done in a way which also
> allows distributing SRV (and ENUM) records, not just a /etc/hosts file and a
> very custom way for service announcement in OLSR nameservice...

Hi,

I do have experience with olsrd and distributed dns. Some years ago (in
addition to making stateless IP autoconfig work with olsrd) I made a
solution with olsrd and tmdns (a standalone implementation of mdns,
compatible with rendezvous/bonjour from Apple). Remember this was before
Avahi was available.

This solution with olsrd and modified tmdns could announce SRV records
by flooding them in the ad hoc network using olsrd flooding mechanism
instead of mcast (tecnically tmdns send packets using IPC to olsrd
plugin for generic mcast flooding and got the replies back the same
way). Every node in the network received announced SRV records and could
answer SRV requests from 1-hop neighbours.

This solution ran on a 75MHz ARM CPU with 8MB RAM, so it ran fine on low
spec CPU. But we only tested with about 10 nodes up to 4 hops apart. How
it would perform on a very large network I do not know.

Just wanted to inform you that this has been done before, but that
solution was made to work with olsrd 0.4.x and would not work as-is today.

Regards,
Roar Bjørgum Rotvik