[Olsr-dev] -Werror. WAS: Android build & regex

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Mon Oct 15 17:14:13 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Hans of Guardian
<(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Runtime testing of routing would be very valuable, but yes, obviously not easy.

I am thinking about an additional "operation system" code for OLSRv2
which should allow to hook it into an event driven simulator. Maybe we
could use something like this for reproducible testing.

> For the kinds of stuff that compiler warnings will provide us, we can definitely write tests.  Things like proper number formats and conversions, edge cases when using certain functions, buffer overflows and other exploits, etc.

I think most things the compiler warns us about are difficult to do in
tests. Similar to the other way around, things you can easily test in
runtime tests are difficult or even impossible for the compiler.

We should use BOTH.

> These tests can be bits of C code pretending to be the internals of olsrd with lots of fake data related to routing in order to get to the conditions needed for the test.

At the moment its (nearly?) impossible to run parts of Olsrd without
having calls into quite a lot of other codepaths.

Henning Rogge

--
Steven Hawkings about cosmic inflation: "An increase of billions of
billions of percent in a tiny fraction of a second. Of course, that