[Olsr-dev] Ninux GSoC 2012, ideas on olsrd

Ferry Huberts (spam-protected)
Mon Mar 19 13:38:16 CET 2012

On 19-03-12 13:05, Henning Rogge wrote:
> On 03/19/2012 12:48 PM, ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Ninux was accepted for GSoC 2012 and I will be mentoring at least one
>> project on olsrd. We use it a lot, so the idea is to develop what is
>> missing for the Ninux network. Of course I am here because we want to
>> discuss our ideas with olsrd developers.
>>
>> here the list of stuff that we need. This things can be put in a
>> single project or we can split, depending on how many students we have
>> and their skills. Just we have to keep the Google rule: 1 student, 1
>> indipendent project.
>>
>> 2) Plugin to use manually specified metric (as in OSPF) because we
>> ended up that any automatic metric does not work in WiFi and we are
>> just messing around with LinkQualityMult all the time.
>> So, manual metric for links !
> Could you explain what is not working with automatic metrics on WiFi?
> Or is it just that the CURRENT metric cannot handle your usecase well?
>
> I think the easiest way to implement this feature would be a second
> parameter in the core that allows to SET (instead of multiply by
> factor) a link quality to a neighbor. I am still not sure this is a
> really good thing.

We are also working on this; we're developing a mechanism that utilizes
linux NL80211 to apply wireless link information in the link quality
calculation.
Related to this, we'd like to have a mechanism that allows us to
dynamically adjust smart gateway up/downlink values.

This, and more, we can (hopefully) discuss in Athens as I will also be
there (from Tuesday - Sunday)

--
Ferry Huberts