[Olsr-dev] olsr.org up again (was: Re: olsr.org down)

L. Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Fri Jun 29 22:36:31 CEST 2012

Hi,

  thanks Henning for forwarding this info to the list. My mail server was also behind that switch ;-)

Okay, so ... for the future. I see two options:
  a) you wait until my old server is in the new (separate, cooled and professional) datacenter and I make a mirror there
      ETA: mid July,                                     and/or...
  b) someone else makes a mirror on his server.

I do not like and I do not recommend using services such as google code or github if possible. Why?
We do not have to make it blatantly trivial for these larger hosters to datamine each and every of our skills and interests.
I prefer what the german speakers call "informationelle selbstbestimmung" (self-determance for your own data). That is why it is a good thing to host your own stuff.
Yes, it is work. But I think it is the right thing to do. And the extra work to take care of some servers pays off.

This implies that is would also be a good thing to have multiple git repos of olsr.org on multiple of our coders' servers.
So, who would be willing to run a mirror on his (private) server?

my 2 cents,
Aaron.