[Olsr-dev] algorithm to generate BSSID from SSID and channel

Markus Kittenberger (spam-protected)
Fri Jun 29 20:50:56 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <
(spam-protected)> wrote:

> On Jun 29, 2012, at 2:34 PM, Markus Kittenberger wrote:
>

> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <
> (spam-protected)> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 29, 2012, at 1:57 PM, Markus Kittenberger wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <
>> (spam-protected)> wrote:
>>

>>> Here's our idea for a standard algorithm for generating a static BSSID
>>> based on the SSID and the channel.  Aaron suggested using the channel
>>> directly in the BSSID to lower the risk of conflicts.  Basically,
>>> networks with the same BSSID on different channels will work,
>>
>> yes but many devices will actually connect to each other on such a setup.
>> of course with quite bad reception as the channel is wrong,
>>
>> (in the lab with afair some bulelts this worked up to an offset of 15mhz!)
>>
>> -> use different BSSID
>>
>> Markus
>>

>> Do you have a suggestion how to do this in an algorithm?
>>
> just encode the channel into the bssid
>
> btw i just meant do not use the same bssid for different channels,..
> (which is what aaron suggested to avoid conflicts) and which you
> comemnted, with "basically it would work"
>
> so i felt it might be a good idea, to tell what kind of conflicts/issues
> you get with the same BSSID.
>
> this btw is also a reason to NOT use the same CA:FE BA:BE bssid for
> different channels
>

> I'm confused.  The proposal I sent already includes the channel in two
> bytes of the generated BSSID.  Am I missing something?

sry for casuing another confusion,..

i was not commetning on your bssid proposal, but on the statement that
using the same bssid on different channels would work,..

as yes it works, but not really as one would expect,..

as most people do not expect that one router on channel 1 can (quite well)
exchange data with another router on channel 2
or will have an very high ETX link in olsrd to another router on channel
3,..

thats all,..

Markus