[Olsr-dev] etx_ffeth use widespread?

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Thu Jun 28 07:30:58 CEST 2012

On 06/27/2012 10:40 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out what the default link quality algorithm for the
> Debian package should be.  For Commotion, etx_ffeth is the default LQ
> algorithm.  It seems that Freifunk uses etx_ff.
>
> If we consider that the default olsrd config should be enough to get a
> basic user attached to various public meshes, which is the best default
> LQ algo to use?

The etxff_eth metric is not widespread, because its incompatible with
the etxff and etx metric. There is no upgrade path for a network to it
except for "switch on day X".

We included it because people wanted to experiment with the idea, to see
if it makes life easier in certain situations. But I doubt it will
become the default metric anywhere, especially because you have to tag
interfaces as "ethernet" to be able to use the metric. If you do not do
the tagging thing, its the same as etxff.

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE