[Olsr-dev] compiler warnings for regex on Android-only

Hans-Christoph Steiner (spam-protected)
Wed Jun 20 20:25:32 CEST 2012

On 06/20/2012 12:58 PM, Ferry Huberts wrote:

> On 20-06-12 18:34, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> Hey Ferry,
>>
>> While I normally am a big believer in fixing compiler warnings, there
>> are good times to leave them alone.  The regex code included only for
>> Android is one of them.  That code is old, a bit weird, super stable,
>> well tested, and working perfectly.  Yes, it makes lots of compiler
>> warnings, but it has been that way since 1994, and its included that way
>> in Android, OpenBSD, etc.
>>
>> Please revert your changes to android/regex*
>
> I understand your point.
> However, looking at the fixes (again) I see absolutely no reason to
> revert them.
>
> Drowning real warnings in unrelevant warnings is not a preferred way to
> keep olsrd stable.

You should revert them because, as the Android maintainer, I asked you
to.  I find it quite rude that you didn't even bother to ask me and just
went ahead and committed.  Have you even tested your changes to
Android's regex?

Basically, at this point, if they are not reverted, I will no longer
maintain my code in olsrd.git, but instead in a fork.  And for my Debian
work, I'll keep that as patches in Debian.  There is too much
unnecessary hassle maintaining work in olsr.org's git.

.hc