[Olsr-dev] quagga plugin is broken using the latest stable quagga 0.99.21

David Lamparter (spam-protected)
Tue Jun 19 15:21:37 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 03:12:16PM +0200, Henning Rogge wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 02:51 PM, David Lamparter wrote:
> >> Whats about the licence? If I read the code correctly, part of this
> >> plugin is GPLv2, which we cannot link against OLSRd in our repository.
> >
> > Since the plugin is very much an optional component and olsrd works well
> > without it, it clearly is a module of its own and can exist as a GPL
> > entity in its own corner.
>
> Not completely sure about this, as long as the plugin is in the same
> repository. It could work...

The best reference known to me for doing things like this is the Curl
library with its zillions of linking & license options.  They somehow
manage to pull it off, so it's certainly possible.

> > Obviously when you run olsrd with the plugin enabled, it'll
> > "GPL-inherit", but that shouldn't be a problem.
> >
> > [Unrelatedly, there are discussions about getting libzebra LGPL; we just
> > had the same discussion with babeld albeit with a different situation.
> > Also, we have some lawyers working on this so I might actually be able
> > to give you a fully-legally-ACKed statement.  No promises though.]
>
> That would be a great solution! Looking forward to more feedback about this.

Sadly, it's in the planning stage and involves a full rewrite of the
entire library... not going to happen soon :S
(The logic is the other way around, there's some consideration about
redoing the zebra protocol, and the library with it, and with that LGPL
is an option.  The existing code cannot reasonably be relicensed...)

-David