[Olsr-dev] quagga plugin is broken using the latest stable quagga 0.99.21

David Lamparter (spam-protected)
Tue Jun 19 14:51:53 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 02:32:58PM +0200, Henning Rogge wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 02:24 PM, David Lamparter wrote:
> > You already have a Quagga maintainer reading olsr-dev :P
> >
> > I would like to reiterate my suggestion of throwing away olsrd's own
> > Quagga protocol implementation and using olsrd-zclient - cf.
> > http://git.nowhere.ws/?p=olsrd-zclient.git
> > instead.  olsrd-zclient uses libzebra instead of implementing the
> > protocol itself and might be easier to maintain in the long run
> > therefore.
> >
> > (That said, the libzebra API is not exactly stable either, and not even
> > complete -- olsrd-zclient has some code that needs to be replaced by a
> > libzebra call -- but it's still a bit better than implementing the protocol
> > directly, in particular because it's far easier to adapt to changes
> > after seeing the C function prototype change)
> >
> > Also, sublab has been running this for years now and it's much more
> > stable than olsrd's plugin.
> >
> > I understand that throwing code away is always a hard thing to do, but I
> > think this is a case where it's neccessary :/
>
> Whats about the licence? If I read the code correctly, part of this
> plugin is GPLv2, which we cannot link against OLSRd in our repository.

Since the plugin is very much an optional component and olsrd works well
without it, it clearly is a module of its own and can exist as a GPL
entity in its own corner.

Obviously when you run olsrd with the plugin enabled, it'll
"GPL-inherit", but that shouldn't be a problem.

[Unrelatedly, there are discussions about getting libzebra LGPL; we just
had the same discussion with babeld albeit with a different situation.
Also, we have some lawyers working on this so I might actually be able
to give you a fully-legally-ACKed statement.  No promises though.]

-David