[Olsr-dev] quagga plugin is broken using the latest stable quagga 0.99.21

David Lamparter (spam-protected)
Tue Jun 19 14:24:15 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 05:46:21PM +0300, Vasilis Tsiligiannis wrote:
> Στις Τετ 30 Μαΐ 2012 09:30:21 ZioPRoTo έγραψε:
> > >
> > > Do you think it is difficult to do?
>
> I am working on it ATM. I beleive it will be ready by weekend.
>
> Στις Τετ 30 Μαΐ 2012 07:56:29 Henning Rogge έγραψε:
> > Maybe we should start getting in contact with the Quagga team, maybe
> > there is a good way to be informed about a protocol change without
> > reading the whole Quagga list.
>
> Quagga project is recently (a few months) showing active development again
> after a long period of inactivity. The team is accepting more patches from the
> community and have also set up patchwork for that reason. It's a good time to
> contact them and I think there are many chances that they will accept patches
> to support OLSR.

You already have a Quagga maintainer reading olsr-dev :P

I would like to reiterate my suggestion of throwing away olsrd's own
Quagga protocol implementation and using olsrd-zclient - cf.
http://git.nowhere.ws/?p=olsrd-zclient.git
instead.  olsrd-zclient uses libzebra instead of implementing the
protocol itself and might be easier to maintain in the long run
therefore.

(That said, the libzebra API is not exactly stable either, and not even
complete -- olsrd-zclient has some code that needs to be replaced by a
libzebra call -- but it's still a bit better than implementing the protocol
directly, in particular because it's far easier to adapt to changes
after seeing the C function prototype change)

Also, sublab has been running this for years now and it's much more
stable than olsrd's plugin.

I understand that throwing code away is always a hard thing to do, but I
think this is a case where it's neccessary :/

-David