[Olsr-dev] including wifi stats in jsoninfo

Hans-Christoph Steiner (spam-protected)
Wed Jun 6 16:20:35 CEST 2012

On Jun 6, 2012, at 10:13 AM, Ferry Huberts wrote:

> On 06-06-12 15:58, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 6, 2012, at 3:33 AM, Teco Boot wrote:
>>

>>> Op 6 jun. 2012, om 08:24 heeft Henning Rogge het volgende geschreven:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> But if a link metric plugin gathers such information, it makes sense to provide it from olsrd. It shows what info olsrd uses. Could be different than form other sources (...).
>>
>> I'm not thinking only olsrd, I think that iwinfo would be generally useful for wifi debugging on GNU/Linux and Android, not only OpenWRT.
>>
>> Besides adding external library dependencies to olsrd, are there any objections to including the information that iwinfo provides?  The core idea of jsoninfo is to provide a wealth of information to enable mapping and debugging of OLSR networks.  wifi settings and statistics are an important part of that picture.
>>

> Agree about the 'picture'.
>
> However, keep in mind that including a http server into olsrd is not very nice from an architecture standpoint (although I do understand why it was done).
> I already discussed this with Henning and proposed to split it out of olsrd for v2.
> This has many advantages against slight disadvantages.
>
> Also, I think you should limit the info provide to things that are strictly used by olsrd.
> Info from iwinfo does not qualify in that regard. That would be more suitable for aggregation somewhere else.
>
> We must try to avoid putting stuff into olsrd when it is not needed.
> It makes maintenance much harder.
> A loosely coupled system of small components is way better than a single big component. IMHO olsrd is already too large.

I agree we should not put everything into olsrd.  The stuff I'm talking about is entirely in the jsoninfo plugin, so people don't need to use it all.  The jsoninfo plugin would not be larger than pud or tas with iwinfo in it.

One idea for making olsrd smaller is making it easy to build the plugins outside of olsrd itself, so they can be entirely separate projects.  This is a better approach IMHO than trying to limit what people do with plugins.

.hc