[Olsr-dev] Little change to olsr core

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Jul 27 13:07:23 CEST 2012

On 07/27/2012 01:01 PM, Teco Boot wrote:
> Op 27 jul. 2012, om 11:28 heeft Henning Rogge het volgende geschreven:
>> The current core doesn't support asymmetric links.
> Could be.
> When all nodes send out their own TC (no topology reduction), all
> with outbound costs, what is the problem?

At the moment there is no such thing as "outbound/inbound" cost in our
TCs. LQ/NLQ are always combined into a symmetric value.

>> I am not even sure
>> the Dijkstra implementation can handle it.
> Should be fixed.
Yes, maybe.

But we have to keep track of the case that we did not got a TC from
another node. There is a reason why you can send out- and inbound cost
in OLSRv2 TCs.

>> Setting your local ETX to "a" but having your neighbor announcing an
>> ETX of "b" sounds like a lot of trouble.
> But this is normal during convergence. Local ETX is changing more
> rapidly than arrived messages, send out with fixed intervals.
> (yes, there could be loops)

Might be interesting to only use the LQs from the sent TCs instead of
the local measurements to decrease the chance of loops.

>> We should not implement
>> something like this before checking the Dijkstra very carefully.
> OK, this has to be checked.
>
>> Whats about this, instead of implementing a static LQ/ETX, we could
>> allow a user to define a maximum LQ for a link (between 0 and 1).
>> Calculation will be running as normal, just that it doesn't go higher
>> than a certain value.
> We can make a new lq_plugin, for experimentation. Based on
> lq_plugin_default_ffeth. All enhancements are configured, so default
> is 100% compatible. Messages should be compatible too, for mixed mode
> operation. Candidate enhancements:
>   - hysteresis (suppress frequent small changes), with config option
>     (LQHYST 0.00 - 0.99)

The hysteresis is already there, just not with tuning parameters.

>   - factor for LQ-WEIGHT and NLQ-WEIGHT, so we have asymmetric costs.
>     NLQ is (far) more important than LQ. Sensible value: 0.80 for NLQ-WEIGHT,
>     0.20 for LQ-WEIGHT.

Yes.

I hope I will be able to put this kind of "metric post processing"
outside the raw-metric calculation in OLSRv2.

>   - LQ window size
>   - max costs and max LQ thresholds
>   - mixing available L2 feedback with LQ, such as RSSI / DLEP info.

I think we should push this to a different experiment.

>   - a more exponential increase of costs, so links with higher losses
>     have much higher costs could be something like
>     ( 255 * 255 * 255 ) / ( LQ * NLQ * NLQ)

Not easy because of the small range of possible values for LQ/NLQ.

Henning

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE