[Olsr-dev] MPR selection algorithm in olsr

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Jul 25 18:08:37 CEST 2012

The main problem with the current code is that it cannot handle
situations where you have multiple links between two nodes.

Its not even a fault of the MPR algorithm, its a fault of the
Neighbor-2 database, which is Node (and not link) specific. OLSRv1 has
no database to store the specifics of 2-hop neighbors, because it
wasn't necessary for the original protocol (which had no link metric
at all).

Henning

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Bidur Devkota <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> I am thankful to Teco Boot for those links which were of great help for me.
>
> Further, I am looking if someone could tell about the location of the
> function in the OLSR Code which runs the MPR selection algorithm.
> I could see something in "src/mpr.c", since this is my first time parsing
> the source code, I would be more confident with some more advice from
> experienced person. Any resources or tips for beginners which will guide for
> understanding and changing code will be of great value for me.
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Teco Boot <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>>
>> olsr.org MPR selection is a topic that needs further study.
>>
>> Few years back, there was some R&D effort to enhance OLSR.
>> http://wwwhome.math.utwente.nl/~haanr/Data/paper_WRECOM07.pdf
>> http://doc.utwente.nl/65399/1/memo1892.pdf
>> There is an quite old branch, with link costs, using data rate probing
>> plugin. I think it has an updated MPR selection also (to be checked).
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/olsr-lc/
>>
>> You could check the master branch also, and implementation of
>> MPR_COVERAGE.
>>
>> It is an open question how much effort we put in current olsr (version 1),
>> with ETX/ETT.
>> I welcome an analyze of the problems, if any, and why MPR flooding is
>> turned off.
>> You will see there is some confusion between MPR redundancy and TC
>> redundancy, maybe even in the code....
>> You may easily get confused reading olsrv2 draft also, where there are
>> Flooding MPRs and Routing MPRs.
>>
>> Teco
>>
>> Op 20 jul. 2012, om 10:36 heeft Bidur Devkota het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> > Hi All,
>> > I have gone through a couple of resources for OLSR MPR selection. As
>> > default method, OLSR protocol uses Greedy method for the purpose of
>> > Multipoint Relay (MPR) selection. Also, different optimization have been
>> > proposed for the MPR selection based on node density, necessity first, etc.
>> > 1. I am seeking to know about the best way to optimize it. Any direction
>> > in this regard is appreciated.
>> > 2. Also, the RFC for OLSR (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3626.txt) shows
>> > just the 2003 version. How can I know about the CHANGES/UPDATES done in MPR
>> > selection in the NEWER version of OLSR.
>> >
>> > Thanks !
>> >
>> > Bidur
>> > --

> Regards,
> Bidur Devkota
> Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand

Steven Hawkings about cosmic inflation: "An increase of billions of
billions of percent in a tiny fraction of a second. Of course, that
was before the present government."