[Olsr-dev] 0.6.4 release and "howto do it"

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Thu Jul 19 21:33:00 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Ferry Huberts <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Well, that depends entirely on the situation. What you propose is not so
> common. A few examples:
> - Assume that normal development will continue on master.
> - A bug is fixed on master. For this bug it is clear that it also exists on
> one or more release branches: we backport the fix to those branches that we
> deem necessary.
> - A bug is fixed on a release branch. For this bug it is clear that it also
> exists on master: we forward-port to master.
>
> And now the tricky parts:
>  - A bug is fixed on master. For this bug it is NOT clear that it also
> exists on one or more release branches. Now what do we do? I for one will
> not waste time trying to reproduce it in any release branch. I propose to
> backport it only when a specific bug report on it comes in.
> - A bug is fixed on a release branch. For this bug it is NOT clear that it
> also exists on master: now what do we do? This is perhaps the most difficult
> situation.
>
> I think we'll need to communicate better for this to work properly ;-)

Okay, thats a good argument.

Maybe fixing stuff on the stable branch(es) and merging it back to
master from time to time is really easier.

> I took a look at the debian repo and am not really pleased with the patches
> in there. We had a big discussion with the OpenWRT guys on that they need to
> upstream their patches and they did: they now basically have zero patches
> against upstream olsrd.
> Debian seems to care much less about that. I'd urge the debian guys to work
> upstream.

I would say at least half of them could easily go upstream... and
maybe we should talk about the rest.

Steven Hawkings about cosmic inflation: "An increase of billions of
billions of percent in a tiny fraction of a second. Of course, that
was before the present government."