[Olsr-dev] NL80211 link quality patch and GIT repository

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Mon Jul 9 21:58:02 CEST 2012

Can you take a look at this two files?

http://olsr.org/git/?p=dlep_app.git;a=blob;f=src/olsr_layer2.h;h=17afbfec1f9457873016d18fa42a24f93376fe6f;hb=master
http://olsr.org/git/?p=dlep_app.git;a=blob;f=src/olsr_layer2.c;h=feed068def034752476d6a18556493ee56ff1de6;hb=master

That is the "in between datastructure" (or something similar) I
designed for OLSRv2... something between "collects layer-2 data" and
"use layer-2 data to build the metric".

What do you think about the idea?

Henning Rogge

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Kees-Jan Hermans <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Well,
>
> to be precise, I encountered two recent versions of Debian where one
> would have all userland wireless functionality in libnl, and it would
> have API-version #defines (CONFIG_LIBNL20 and CONFIG_LIBNL30), and one
> that had that library completely split up (in libnl, libnl-nf,
> libnl-cli, libnl-route, libnl-genl), and none of those #defines. So I
> thought, I'd approach this in the following manner:
>
> 1) Our patch currently only works on Linux (so WIN32 and BSD would have
> to have some elegant message saying 'Sorry, you can't use this right
> now' - this is going to be solved in the code by a '#ifdef __linux__',
> but in the makefile I'd need to be able to switch on the fact that we're
> using Linux or not (I think I've seen a few instances of that in the
> Makefiles already), in order to determine whether or not it's going to
> run the script at all.
>
> 2) Upon discovery of a few Linux NL-quirks by the script, either a
> Makefile inclusion file is produced, or the present Makefile is altered,
> whichever has your preference (the former has the advantage that running
> the script doesn't alter the GIT state of the present Makefile).
>
> In the absence of a proper 'configure' script, this is the only elegant
> solution I could think of.
>
> KJ
>
> On Mon, 2012-07-09 at 15:17 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Sure, that's possible with make, which headers and functions are you talking about?
>>
>> My guess is that most likely, you'll want to use #ifdef macros.
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Jul 9, 2012, at 11:32 AM, Kees-Jan Hermans wrote:
>>
>> > Ok, thanks. Turns out that what I thought was new, was old, and vice
>> > versa. Spent some of the weekend adapting a patch against the old code.
>> > My mistake I suppose - teach me the basics of this here project ;-)
>> >
>> > Anyway, some patching up was necessary anyhow (mostly, unfortunately,
>> > due to the fact that there is no stable nl80211 userland API on Linux,
>> > differing wildly among distributions and no real sure way to know what
>> > version you're dealing with on the basis of #defines and whatnot)
>> >
>> > Which leads me to another question: is there something in the course of
>> > 'make' that I could use to create a 'configure' like situation
>> > (discovery of certain uses of header files, function prototypes and
>> > defines) ?
>> >
>> > Sincerely,
>> >
>> > KJ

>> > --

Steven Hawkings about cosmic inflation: "An increase of billions of
billions of percent in a tiny fraction of a second. Of course, that
was before the present government."