[Olsr-dev] please revert " force copy the olsrd.conf file during install"

Hans-Christoph Steiner (spam-protected)
Thu Jul 5 20:21:02 CEST 2012

On Jul 4, 2012, at 5:16 PM, Ferry Huberts wrote:

> On 04-07-12 22:23, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> Please enlighten me,
>>>
>>> Why would you not want to strip when building without debug?
>>
>> Because then you don't need to have a separate debug mode.  If the
>> software can be built and run in place, i.e. run ./olsrd in the
>> source tree after its built, then you can debug it without
>> installing.  I do this all the time, setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH or using
>> symlinks to load plugins.
>>

> yes. I do that too.
> However, I don't debug a no-debug build and I bet you don't either...
>
> Distribution / release builds should use 'make DEBUG=0 install'.
>

> So, any other answer?

In the vast majority of build systems, "make install" already means "build and install a stripped version".  So DEBUG=0 is a custom thing that needs to be documented, learned, remembered.  A set of commands is like a library in our brains.  Using that "library" means the documenting, learning, and remembering part doesn't need to be implemented since its already there.

.hc