[Olsr-dev] please revert " force copy the olsrd.conf file during install"

L. Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Tue Jul 3 15:23:50 CEST 2012

Hi Ferry,

I wouldn't recommend doing even that.

Why?
Due to the history of olsrd , there are a couple of networks out there which have very different olsrd.conf files.
Different metrics, etc.
So, overwriting - even by accidentally pressing "Y" - can ruin your network.
It is better to have the admin explicitly copy over and adapt the olsrd.conf file in my opinion.

This is based on my experience of maintaining nodes which are in the field and believe me, you don't want to go there every time you make an upgrade.
:))

Of course, I also understand the other side - at some point we need to have a newer olsrd.conf file.
Maybe we can adapt some experiences of debian apt-get ?
What do you think about this?

a.