[Olsr-dev] changing 'linux' macro to __linux__ or __gnu_linux__

Hans-Christoph Steiner (spam-protected)
Thu Feb 2 16:00:04 CET 2012

On 02/02/2012 08:58 AM, Felix Fietkau wrote:
> On 2012-02-01 8:56 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> One thing that I've learned in my own porting work is: it is generally
>> the least overall work to try to use the platform macros that are
>> automatically defined by the compiler.  Android's NDK only recently
>> added the __ANDROID__ macro, for example, and Android's gcc also defines
>> __linux__, but NOT __gnu_linux__.
>>
>> Every GNU/Linux I've tried (which is mostly Debian and derivatives) has
>> a compiler that sets __linux__ and __gnu_linux__.  So I propose changing
>> olsrd's linux macro to be __linux__ when its kernel-related and
>> __gnu_linux__ when its OS related.  This will allow the code to
>> differentiate between GNU/Linux and Android/Linux (not GNU at all,
>> besides the compiler).
>>
>> If people are amenable, I'll post a patch.  This isn't so much to fix a
>> specific issue now, but rather to prevent issues from arising in the future.
> I think it's better to explicitly check for android instead of relying
> on __gnu_linux__. There are enough embedded distros out there (e.g.
> OpenWrt) that are mostly GNU compatible, but do not use glibc, nor
> define __gnu_linux__

If we use the __gnu_linux__, __linux__, and __ANDROID__ macros right,
chances are that the build system won't need to handle them at all.  The
build system will still need specific checks for Android and other
embedded systems to setup the build with the right cross-compiler.

.hc