[Olsr-dev] A last question about the new repository design

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Aug 14 09:15:16 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am thinking about what to do with the "stable" branch at the moment.

Our new model calls for a branch for each release where we stabilize the
release. Maybe we will even keep some of this branches to support
bugfixes for releases that need to be maintained longer (e.g. versions
that go into Debian).

So we will have branches called "stable_0.6.4" and similar.

The model works well I think, it just does not contain a good way to get
the "most recent stable" automatically.

I see two options how to deal with this.

The easiest one would be to use the "stable" branch to track the most
recent release. Every time we tag a release, we merge it to "stable" so
automatic scripts can easily grab this tagged (and signed) version.
Still, this means a lot of "unnecessary" merges.

A second option would be NOT to use a new branch for every release but
always to use the "stable" branch for stabilization. This would mean we
just merge "master" into "stable" every times we start a new release. I
don't like this, because we loose the ability to differentiate between
the releases easily.

Third option would be to just drop the "stable" branch.

What do you think?

Henning Rogge
--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE