[Olsr-dev] alignment faults on ARM processors

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Mon Aug 13 15:44:04 CEST 2012

On 08/13/2012 02:40 PM, Kees-Jan Hermans wrote:
> Basically, it cannot access a piece of 32 byte memory (i.e. following a
> pointer-to-int cast) without it being properly aligned (at a four byte
> boundary). It also cannot copy a 16 bit piece of memory that 'hangs
> over' a boundary. But it *can* memcpy() - it's just expensive. In a
> world where ethernet headers are 14 bytes long, that's a major pain, I
> can tell you ;-)

As far as I can tell the MIPS processors have the same problem. But they
do NOT have the problem you describe.

Yes, we cast an uint8_t pointer into an uint_32... but the address in
the pointer (for this operation) should be well aligned.

Any chance to get a full stack trace (with gdb) which call-chain is
producing the unaligned function call?

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE