[Olsr-dev] change to olsr_rt_flags() function in BSD but not Linux in stable branch

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Apr 6 09:06:06 CEST 2012

Kernel 2.4 does have netlink support for routing I think.

See http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl7_rtnetlink.htm

VERSIONS
rtnetlink is a new feature of Linux 2.2.

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 09:03, Ferry Huberts <(spam-protected)> wrote:

> On 06-04-12 08:50, Markus Kittenberger wrote:
>>
>> thx for the reminder,..
>> but my patch never was a build break, as it already did not compile
>> without -D LINUX_NETLINK_ROUTING
>>
>> but i/we should really either remove kernel_routes_ioctl.c or fix it.
>> (could push a fix, but will NOT do so,..)
>> but i still think removing it makes more sense.
>>

> I agree.
> 2.4 is _completely_ ancient and not worth the effort to maintain.
>

>> as imho, the non netlink code likely did not work since a long time (and
>> like the bsd code, it should have issues due to the wrong flags set in
>> olsr_rt_flags())
>>
>> furthermore even with a fixed kernel_routes_ioctl.c olsrd did not
>> compile without -D LINUX_NETLINK_ROUTING
>>
>> as e.g. the smartgateway code in not only within #ifdef
>> LINUX_NETLINK_ROUTING
>> therefore since olsrd 0.6.0 olsrd did not compile without
>> LINUX_NETLINK_ROUTING
>>
>> while this was easy fixable too, and i could compile and run it, txtinfo
>> did not work (or it crashes olsrd once he tries to load it) too.
>> furthermore it would now make sense to test the ioctl routing code, for
>> several issues we only fixed for netlink,..
>>
>> so i finally decided (with henning) NOT to fix it, as he will remove
>> linux_ioctl stuff prior to olsrd 0.6.3 release,.. ( thx Henning! )
>>
>> Markus
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
>> <(spam-protected) <mailto:(spam-protected)>> wrote:
>>

>>    I just noticed something while rebasing my patches against the HEAD
>>    of stable.  In the commit called "fix bsd RTM_GATEWAY routing flags
>>    detection" by Markus Kittenberger
>>    (66dcc5f8e3da8084cef0fcec3a4580d47b90f593), the function
>>    olsr_rt_flags() was changed to have a second parameter:
>>
>>      olsr_rt_flags(const struct rt_entry *, int add);
>>
>>    This change was made in src/process_routes.h,  src/process_routes.c,
>>    and src/bsd/kernel_routes.c but was not made in
>>    src/linux/kernel_routes_ioctl.c.  Yet, olsrd seems to build and run
>>    fine.  My guess is that src/linux/kernel_routes_ioctl.c is not used
>>    at all, even though its being included it the build.
>>
>> it is only used if one want olsrd without netlink for linux,..
>>
>> and yes either i should change kernel_routes_ioctl.c (as i already
>> promised)
>> or remove it,..
>>

>>    If src/linux/kernel_routes_ioctl.c is not used, can it be removed?
>>      If it is, then olsr_rt_flags() should be updated there.
>>
>>    On a related note, I setup an automated build on Debian/stable/amd64
>>    and also runs olsrd using fakeroot after it builds:
>>    https://build.safermobile.org/job/olsrd-stable/
>>
>>    .hc
>>    --

> Ferry Huberts

Steven Hawkings about cosmic inflation: "An increase of billions of
billions of percent in a tiny fraction of a second. Of course, that
was before the present government."