[Olsr-dev] 802.11s embedded help

L. Aaron Kaplan (spam-protected)
Fri Sep 16 08:37:07 CEST 2011

On Sep 16, 2011, at 7:31 AM, Henning Rogge wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:05:50 Spencer Johnson wrote:
>> Are there a limited number of nodes allowed for 802.11s? i.e., a
>> county-wide mesh network would not be viable? Perhaps the hub-and-spoke
>> theory would work out better...
> From what I have heard 802.11s is designed for "small" networks, but I have
> been unable to track down a current maximum number of nodes.

Hi!

ask the OLPC folks, they ended up with a maximum useful number of 6-8 laptops within a mesh.
This was also due to wireless driver issues. But in any case, you can imagine that > 30 laptops in a single layer 1 broadcast domain which is by design also a layer 2 broadcast domain just does not scale well as soon as things get chatty.

Forget a country wide mesh with 802.11s. I suggest you look into layer 3 routing for scalability.
It all boils down to the idea that you want to keep chatty things as local as possible and not pollute everybody with it.

a.