[Olsr-dev] Meshing over VPNs

Markus Kittenberger (spam-protected)
Mon Oct 10 11:20:17 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Benny Baumann <(spam-protected)> wrote:

> Hi,
> >
> > use flat! *G
> Have to look into this.
> >
> >     destination, but one route per distance and host. So sometimes we
> >     get up
> >     to 2 or 3 routes per host.
> >
> > (which is (or at least sounds like) a bug,..)
> I can provide a routing table as created from OLSRd alongside the
> graph/topology of the network. Basically the routes are distinct like
> 1. hostN via host1 metric 2
> 2. hostN via host2 metric 3
> So the routing table is correct,

no its not (-;
olsrd shall only create one route to a target,..
the others just exists as olsrd failed to delete the outdated routes,..

and if the metric of a updated route gets higher, the old (now wrong) route
will still be used instead of the new (correct) route

(infact i know this (or a very similar) bugs, but believed it already got
resolved,.)

> except that the second route /could/ be
> dropped.
> >
> >     > olsrd would anyways just create as many routes as there are targets
> >     > (hosts)
> >     > (regardless of the topology)
> >     Yes, but using the plugin we can somehow channel these routes
> somewhat
> >     and make some of them appear as "INFINITE" so OLSR knows the host is
> >     there, but doesn't try to route directly to it. And that's what wwe
> >     wanted to get.
> >
> > knowing a host/link is there, also needs memory (just less than having
> > it in topology and creating a route for it)
> If we drop this completely we got effects of unreachable hosts.

keeping infinite links instead of dropping them, canĀ“t make anything
reachable (as they are never used for routing)

>I know. But for slow links (as we sometimes have in our network, the
> background traffic is more of a concern. Dividing the Tinc broadcast
> domain if necessary shouldn't be too hard.

yes thats a (additional) solution, but imho the plugin/setup should scale
without having to divide into groups of 20 nodes

> > (but how does tinc broadcast the messages, sending duplicated packets
> > to all other nodes in the tinc cloud?)
> Tinc internally builds a spanning tree and broadcasts using this
> spanning tree. This tree holds information about all the connections
> every one of the peer can establish (e.g. two internet servers that are
> not configured to establish a connection automatically, but will du to
> proxy traffic).
> M> would this create 450KB/sec for a 100 nodes tinc cloud??
> Would have to calc, but you'd get 100*99 messages per TC from 100 nodes.
> So'd I guess without the plugin you'd be more like 4.5MB/s. With this
> plugin and a quite sparse connectivity (10 conenctions per node) 50KB/s.

hmm imho this sounds like waste of bandwidth,..

btw:
why do you actually want n to n links?

avoiding the central server (as single point of failure)
or avoiding the traffic (and the doubling of it) through a single server

or both?

as having just one (or some) central tunnelserver(s), would solve all
olsrd-protocol and olsrd-bandwidth problems,.. (i think thats what manuel
munzs tinc options do aswell)

for a olsrd plugin (an protocol adaptions) i would try to reach both things.
(direct n to n routing connectivity, but no direct n to n olsrd link
sensing)

i guess i would configure most olsrds to use unicast replies instead of
broadcasts on their vpn interfaces (and only some olsrd nodes do real
linksensing with broadcasts)

(but i aim for scalability to thousands of vpn peers)
for smaller ones your current approach might be better/easier, but honestly
i still do not understand how u even run into problems with only 10-15 vpn
neighbours.

(maybe its really just due to not using flat fibmetric,..)

> >     But as far as I understand it OLSR doesn't include INFINITE/non-SYMM
> >     links in the HELLO-message.
> >
> > this is true for Tcs but not for Hellos.
> k, so the VPN BCD would have to be splitted when nearing this limit.

yes,
or olsrd protocol needs to be changed,..

 Markus

p.s. maybe we can chat about this
(henning is also interested)