[Olsr-dev] Bug Secure Plugin - Endianness ?

Roar Bjørgum Rotvik (spam-protected)
Fri May 13 19:36:51 CEST 2011

On 06.05.2011 10:14, Henning Rogge wrote:
> On Fri May 6 2011 10:05:13 ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) wrote:
>> I've been reported by an "advanced-user" that the secure plugin has
>> problems when mixing in the network nodes with different architectures
>> (example X86 and Ubiquities).
>>
>> His setup works perfectly, until he adds to the network a node with a
>> different arch. Maybe there is some endianess problem in the code ?
> Yes, might be... I don't think anyone has ever used this plugin.
>
> I think the design of the plugin (authentication of routing packages based on
> shared group key and timestamps) make it broken by design.

Hi,

I'm one of the guys that thought of and designed this secure plug in.
It was designed for use in a controlled net, i.e. all the allowed nodes
has a preshared key obtained out-of-band (i.e. not part of olsr or
network traffic) that kept all non authorised nodes away from
interfering with olsr traffic.

It was mostly a proof of concept for a "small" network (not 1000 of
nodes) where we wanted a basic level of routing security. It is not "the
final" security solution for authentication in the network and should
not be used for that. But it should be enough for small and confined
networks.

What do you believe is "broken" in it's design? Remember that the design
criteria was simple, small and low overhead (hence no PKI).

Regards,
Roar Bjørgum Rotvik