[Olsr-dev] OLSR.org repository maintainance started

Henning (spam-protected)
Sat Jun 18 21:10:37 CEST 2011

On Saturday 18 June 2011 19:12:56 you wrote:
> I started working on the repository maintainance we discussed here on the
> list.
>
> There is a read only copy of the olsr.org repository at
> http://olsr.org/git/olsrd_readonly.git
>
> The main repository will be soon offline (or readonly too).

Okay, maintainance has been finished... the repository is now free of damaged
commits.

What does this mean for the current users of the repository?

1) You are using the repository just for pulling the code to compile it

First option you have is just ignore what happened. Git will create a merge of
your last copy of the repository and the new one, you will just get the new
code.

But this will leave a little bit strange repository in your local space, one
you cannot use for pushing data anymore.

SUGGESTION: just clone a fresh copy of the repository and switch again to the
branch you need!

2) You are actively developing code and want to push it to the repository

If you currently have no code you have NOT pushed, just cloning a new
repository copy and start writing more code is the best sollution.

If you have current code or you cannot clone a new repository, you can do the
following.

a) DO NOT PULL FROM THE NEW REPOSITORY.
b) switch to the branch you are working on
c) run "git fetch" to get a copy of the new data, but not merge it
d) run "git rebase origin/<your-branch>" to switch over to the new data
e) run "git push" to push your data to the repository

Afterwards you might want to clone a fresh copy of the repository to get rid
of some now useless data in your local repo.

I SUGGEST YOU MAKE A BACKUP COPY of your local repository before doing this.

Henning Rogge