[Olsr-dev] OLSRd on Android

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Apr 6 17:28:32 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 06 April 2011 17:08:56 C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> * Any thoughts on whether OLSR is suitable for power-limited mobile
> devices?  I've heard some claim that AODV-based schemes would be more
> appropriate.
The problem is more that switching your phone to adhoc mode will turn off the
power saving magic it has for station mode... which means your battery will be
dead within 2-8 hours. With or without OLSRd.

> * Is setting wifi to adhoc mode
> (http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=82) the only reason
> for needing to be root?  Or are there other aspects which aren't yet
> supported by the NDK?
OLSRd sets kernel routes... you need to be root to do this.

> * What sorts of information are exported by OLSR which could be the
> basis of a visualization?  Has anyone thought about visualizing the
> OLSR mesh and/or connection status?
There are a few plugins to do this, but none currently work together with a
Android GUI. If you are interested in writing one I would be happy to support
you from the plugin side.

Henning Rogge
--
1) You can't win.