[Olsr-dev] [OLSRD energy consumption ]

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Thu Oct 7 14:36:21 CEST 2010

On Wed October 6 2010 10:01:03 Lakatos-Tóth Pál wrote:
> Thank you for your reply, but I think you do not understand me, what I
> would like to get if it possible. So we have a framework, which is in
> developement phase and we can debug the olsrd in very low level with the
> help of our ARM Simulator ( it is better and lower level than valgrind ).
> For example we place a label to the source where the OLSR started to
> calculate the shortest path between nodes. After we recompile the olsrd
> with this label at the start and the end of this function and after we run
> that binary on our energy measurement framework. After it run,  we can see
> on the output the energy consumption chart and we have a part of a graph
> which is indicated with the signaled function's energy. So we can see that
> the energy consumption increased by (for example) 0.05 Joule/sec, so we
> have an information about how much energy spent to calculate the shortest
> path. So I would like to get not the all, but some advice from the
> developers about where I would place these signals to the source and what
> are the most interested parts of the OLSRD in aspect of energy consumption
> measuring,  because
> I think they have more information about how is the olsrd built up, so they
> can advise some useful information if it possible .
OLSRd is a bunch of timers (mostly validity time, packet generation), a
dijkstra implementation and a socket scheduler.

I think the dijkstra is the largest bunch of code which eats up time and
energy, but in large networks there are LOTS of timers.

I would suggest using valgrind (as a profiler) to identify codepaths which
seem to use much CPU time, then concentrate on this parts with your framework
to get more exact results.

You will find the mainloop (OLSRd is single threaded) in the file
"scheduler.c" in the function "olsr_scheduler()".

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE