[Olsr-dev] Poor routing performance

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Nov 10 18:49:50 CET 2010

On Wednesday 10 November 2010 18:42:44 Octav Chipara wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few questions/suggestions.
>
> 1) I understand the difficulties with managing routes. It seems to me that
> a good engineering approach would be to define a range of IP addressed for
> which OLSR will be doing the routing. This method will give you an
> opportunity to have multiple routing algorithms managing different routes.
OLSRd will only work with the IPs the user defines in the mainIP/HNAs and the
interface IPs. You could get rid of the interface IPs and just mainIP/HNAs.

> 2) Does OLSR implementation cache routes within its own code? If not I
> guess, it really is an issue to have writing to the routing table fail
> because it could potentially impact the entire network as opposed to just
> the local host. If it does do caching, can we simply keep a bool indicating
> if the route update was performed correctly or not.
If no error is in the syslog, then OLSRd never know that something went wrong.

> Using this extra info,
> you could actually reapply the change upon other route update or in the
> main OLSR loop. This seems fairly os agnostic ...
OLSRd knows the internal state of the routing and only applies deltas to the
operation system. It would cost too much cpu power on large meshs and embedded
systems to writer always all routes.

> If I enable a higher level of debugging, will I get the error codes for
> writing to the socket?
I think at the moment (stable code) most routing errors are written into the
syslog. In the master branch the whole logging code was changed to a
centralized logger with different severity levels, "sources" and logging
targets.

> I guess one potentially issue is that I have VMWare
> installed on my mac. It did add other interfaces, however, OLSR is
> configured to ignore them.
OLSR only works on the interfaces defined in the olsrd.conf.

So unless you specifiy the VMWare interface in the config file, OLSRd will
never know about it.

Henning Rogge
--
1) You can't win.